Use Scarcity To Your Advantage
By Satyajit Sadanandan
Zlatan selected clubs that were a good environment for him to thrive in and that also molded him.
– Pontus Maltborg
Pontus Maltborg, is a football savant – one of the best in the game.
He spent his formative years in football as a coach and scout with Sweden’s famously successful football academy, IF Brommapojkarna.
For those who don’t know, Brommapojkarna (meaning – the Bromma boys – BP), is the largest football club in Europe with 250 odd youth teams. Though not a regular top division club, BP is very famous for its groundbreaking youth academy, which acts as an assembly line for good players, consistently producing talented players who then go on to have good careers elsewhere in Sweden and in the world. Many of the club’s graduates have played in top clubs of the World including Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Juventus, and Sampdoria.
Those experiences shaped Pontus to be the brilliant analyst and scout that he is today.
In this Podcast, Pontus draws from his experiences and observations to come up with some interesting insights:
- What sort of academies should players with high current ability choose?
- What sort of academies should players with high potential choose?
- What makes academies in some places better choices over others?
- What smart and unconventional choices did Zlatan Ibrahimovic make as a young player and how did that help him?
- What sort of smart, calculated career risks are the new generation of Swedish national team players taking?